Hi, I'm Annie. When my mother lost her battle with cancer, I became the sole caregiver to my grandma and her doggy. I was only 25. I post my struggles and triumphs here and invite you to chime in. Also a full time student getting my Bachelors in business and working full time for the greatest airline in the world in the greatest city in the world, San Francisco.

Friday, October 5, 2012

Introducing Grandma Connie

                          ~Every Girl Loves Flowers~

Introducing my fabulous grandmother, Connie Douglass.  
                We're in our corner coffee shop with fresh flowers from the Saturday 
farmer's market. It's rare that I have a Saturday off from work but when I do, it's off to the farmer's market we go for flowers and Indian samosas (she loves them!). They also have a live band in the plaza. I usually park Grandma in her wheelchair in front of the band while I shop. Then we drink coffee, eat samosas, and listen to the music together. 
     
              This 91 year old rockstar grew up in Lewiston, ME.  Born to a French Canadian shoemaker and American police officer and bricklayer, she is the oldest of three. At 18 years old she answered her country's call and signed up to be an Army nurse on a war ship picking up wounded soldiers in North Africa and Europe. 
    
               She met her future husband on that ship, Tommy Moore, a merchant marine. They wed and had four children (my mother was the oldest) then moved out West to San Francisco, CA for better opportunities.  My grandmother joined General Hospital as an Emergency Room nurse and my grandfather drove buses for MUNI, the public transportation system in SF. Here's a funny link to see the love-hate relationship us San Franciscans have with MUNI. 
    
          And we've been living in San Francisco ever since! 

No comments:

Post a Comment