Hi, I'm Annie. When my mother lost her battle with cancer, I became the sole caregiver to my grandma and her doggy. I was only 25. I post my struggles and triumphs here and invite you to chime in. Also a full time student getting my Bachelors in business and working full time for the greatest airline in the world in the greatest city in the world, San Francisco.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Being a Young Caregiver

    I've watched my family shrink and shrink over the years. It wasn't a big family to begin with, I'm only the only grandchild on my mom's side. And I have an aunt and cousin on my dad's side but didn't connect with them until recently. I used to love being an only child. It was fun having the undivided attention of my parents, my aunt and my grandmother. But then my father passed away when I was eleven years old. And my aunt died when I was twenty years old. And then my mother found out she had Stage 4 Metastatic Breast Cancer when I was twenty and passed away a year later.
   So here I am, twenty five years young and feeling like the real Orphan Annie.  I moved into the apartment my grandmother and mother shared to take care of them. I slept on an inflatable mattress for six months, the three of us and a dog cramped into a 1 bedroom apartment. Now with my mom gone, I am the sole caregiver to my ninety one year old grandmother and her dog.
    Being a young caregiver is a hard role, and an often unsupported role.  Most people in their twenties are living  it up as young professionals in exciting new careers. I know my friends are. They're in New York City, Los Angeles, Portland, and Chicago. They have the freedom to only worry about themselves. I do not. I have lived with my grandmother the past year. Not only am I grieving over losing my mother and best friend, I am trying to finish my Bachelors of Science degree and work full-time for an airline. At first I just accepted that this was my role in life. That I was unlucky, and that continuing to live with my grandmother was my only option.
    But now, one year after my mother's death, I find myself faced with a tough decision. Over the year I have lost my familial relationship with my grandmother-I am just her caregiver. She orders me around because she is in need of many things, and doesn't give anything in return, not even gratitude. I began to lash out at her. I never thought I would swear or purposely ignore her, but I have. It is an awful feeling to hate the person that helped raise you. But it has come to this.
    So I ask myself, do I continue to put us both in this hostile environment? Or do I look for an assisted living facility? For a long time I couldn't even say that out loud. Now, after much consultation with my therapist, friends, and a clinical social worker, Grandma will be going into a home in two months. (Look for my post on assisted living care facilities.) I'm lucky that she has a good pension from working at General Hospital in San Francisco as a nurse and also has income from social security. She does not have any savings or assets, but it will be enough to pay her rent. But that means I will have to be on my own. It is a scary thought, to be completely responsible for myself. No more borrowing money from grandma or mom when I run tight, it is not a luxury I have anymore. No more advice on big decisions or boys. I am alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment